What’s a Bynum you might ask. Bynum is a small hamlet in Chatham County near Fearrington Village between Pittsboro and Chapel Hill on HWY 15-501. Bynum, once a bustling Mill town in the early 1900’s now keeps itself on the map through a series of fun community centered events.
The Bynum General Store was the last remaining business in the town but closed its doors in 2006. In response, a group of dedicated locals banded together to form the Bynum Front Porch non-profit which uses the general store as a center for community activities such as its annual Halloween celebration but also through weekly events such as Bynum Front Porch Bluegrass Pickin’.
Here is a listing from the Front Porch website of their offerings:
- Bynum Front Porch Music Series that takes place at the Bynum General Store every Friday night from May to August.
- It is open to the public and features a variety of bands including gospel, folk, blues, rockabilly and bluegrass.
- Bynum Front Porch Storytelling show (September to May)
- Bynum Front Porch Pickin’
- AVID and Art Educational grants to Chatham County Seniors, various children’s programs, a bazaar, community events, and fundraisers.
This weeks’ upcoming activities at the Front Porch include:
Bynum Front Porch Bluegrass Pickin’
September 9 @ 10:00 am – 12:00 pm
A Free EVENT
Come join us for a bluegrass jam session in Bynum, North Carolina at the Bynum General Store. We meet on second and fourth Saturdays, year round. Acoustic instruments. Musicians and singers of all skill levels and ages welcome. Visitors too!
For more info: Chathambluegrass@yahoo.com
Bynum Front Porch Pickin’
Second and Fourth Saturdays
Bynum Front Porch, 950 Bynum Rd. Pittsboro, NC 27312
Check out more here:
Lisa Skumpija can help with your Pittsboro, Chatham County and greater Raleigh, NC real estate. Her Chapel Ridge real estate office has really taken off. Whether you are buying or selling a home in Chatham County, NC, Lisa Skumpija is a leading real estate agent and can make it a smooth process!